Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Here goes...

For years I have considered going to law school, but always put that thought on the back burner for one reason or another.  Early last year, though, I decided to finally take the plunge and follow my dream, and started to take the necessary steps to see it happen (several of which required handing over money to the LSAC, a theme that was to continue throughout my preparation and application process).  I prepped for and took the LSAT, researched what types of law most interested me, which schools seemed to be good fits, and about a year and a half later, my future is starting to take shape.  In t-minus four months, I'll be a law student.

Throughout the process, my "advanced" age has been a constant, nagging problem.  There's no getting around the fact that once I start, I'll be more than a few years older than my average classmate, and that has posed several vexing questions that, I'll have to admit, have occasionally kept me up at night.  The minor concerns have regarded fitting in socially and whether or not I can still "do" school.  Mostly, though, I have worried about how my age will affect my job prospects; will I just be too old for anyone to want to hire me?

As I've moved along, researching, sending out applications, weighing my options, I have come across a number of individuals who have offered advice, guidance, the wisdom of their own experience, and, above all, reassurance that my age will likely not be a detriment, and actually might work in my favor.  It has been tremendously comforting to know for sure that I'm not the only one with these concerns, or who has walked this particular road, and I am grateful to all those who have listened and advised.

To that end, I hope this blog can eventually turn into something useful for people who were in my shoes about 18 months ago, are in my shoes now, or will be in the shoes I'll soon be wearing once classes start.  Although I've always enjoyed writing, I've never really gotten into blogging because...well, because I didn't feel like I had anything particularly interesting to say, and it just seemed a little self-indulgent for my tastes.  

Now, maybe, I will have something to say that may be useful for others.  I'll for sure try, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment